Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Other Side of the World

I'm going back to China this summer.  (See the story here.)  And, if I'm anywhere close to being honest, I have not been excited about the trip.  After all, I'm in the middle of planning a wedding for this September.  I'm starting a new job in August.  And I honestly just wanted to have a selfish summer to do whatever I want!! 

And so I've had a terrible attitude about this trip.  I've complained.  I've pouted.  I've grumbled.  But because I wanted to be obedient to what I felt like was the Lord's calling (and because I couldn't figure  out way to get out of the trip!), I've come to terms with leaving my fiancé for three weeks and giving up the last half of my summer.  I've half-heartedly asked for prayer requests to give me the want-to for this trip.  In reality, I figured I'd just suck it up and suffer through.  

Tonight, though, the Lord answered prayers.

At our all-church picnic tonight Michael and I ran into Dave.  Dave is the one who got me going on these trips to China.  Last year it was just he and I who went to China from our church.  My dad made him promise to keep me safe, and he did just that.  He was my surrogate dad!  I loved knowing that I was safe with Dave around.  And it was just nice to have a friend/dad to pal around with.  There's one thing I love even more about Dave.  He. Is. FUNNY!  Oh my goodness, he's funny!  We stood around for a few minutes tonight talking about China and just flat out laughing!  And it reminded me of being in China with Dave last year.  I belly laughed all day, every day!  It was so much fun!!  As we were driving away, Michael was wishing that he could go to China!  I don't think I could do this trip without him!!  

My China dad (Dave) and me
I walked in the house after the picnic and for some reason I had the immediate thought, 
"Did I tell Bess that I'm getting married??"
Bess was the wonderful co-director of our camp last year.  She's from South Carolina and her beautiful accent gives her away the second you talk to her on the phone.  I loved her before I even met her.  She has a beautiful heart for God, and just loves Him!!  I got on the phone immediately and was blessed to talk to both her and her husband.  Bess and I spent many an hour last summer talking about my singleness and how the Lord has a plan for me.  She all but insisted that after being in China, I was going to find my man!  It had happened for two other women in her life, and she was sure it was going to happen to me.  Well, lo and behold!!!

So tonight I had the amazing privilege of telling her the good news.  I'M GETTING MARRIED!!!!

I love Bess because whenever I talk with her on the phone I laugh, I squeal, I cry, I praise the Lord.  (If you can't tell, I adore her!)  So imagine my pure and utter joy when I found out tonight that we will be flying to China together!!!!!  We are going to be on a plane together for 12+ hours!!  AND we'll get to hang out again in Beijing at the end of camp!  YAY!!!!!!!!!

Bess and I taught dance together last year
After hanging up with Bess, I had a really amazing realization.

The Lord just gave me (at least a little) of that want-to.  

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God can be so amazing like that! I bet it will be a life-changing trip!

    ReplyDelete