Sunday, December 28, 2014

Acupuncture

When you get close to exhausting your options in fertility treatments, you may find yourself volunteering to be a human pin cushion.  Never in a million years would I have imagined myself seeking out someone who has a Master's in Oriental Medicine.  By here I am, getting stuck with needles and talking about Chinese herbs.

For my fellow skeptics, it really doesn't hurt.  After the strategic placement of these little needles, you are left alone in the room for 30 minutes to "relax".  My first time "relaxing" with needles sticking out of me was less than relaxing. 

"I'm laying here with needles sticking out of my body."
"Uh oh.  My leg itches."  
"Will it hurt if I try to move?"
"What if I accidentally hit one of the needles?"
"There are needles sticking out of my body."


I know lots of people who say they fall asleep during acupuncture.  So far, I haven't been one of those people.  But I suck at relaxing, so that could have something to do with my lack of sleeping.

If you look closely you can see the needles in my knees and ankles.  By the way...taking an acupuncture selfie isn't the easiest thing in the world.


 Once the needles are in, you really can't feel them at all.  In fact, when I was driving home after one of my appointments I went to brush my hair out of my eyes when my hand brushed something hard near my temple.  I proceeded to pull a needle out of my head!  SO. WEIRD.


This isn't something I'll continue long term, but there are many highly educated experts in the field of fertility who recommend this process.  And even I (queen of all skeptics) am noticing some changes in my body.  We are hopeful this will play a part in helping us get pregnant!

No comments:

Post a Comment