Saturday, March 23, 2013

Ricotta Cheese

I love Pinterest.  It inspires me to do things I would never even think to do on my own!!  

Like making ricotta cheese!

Now....had the blog I pinned this from hadn't insisted how easy and delicious homemade ricotta cheese was, I probably would have been too scared/skeptical/unmotivated to even attempt.

BUT...I did attempt and it was delicious and easy!

Here's the blog this came from and she promises this about the recipe:

1. If you can boil water, you can make your own ricotta cheese.
2.  It will take you less than 15 minutes from start to finish.
3.  It will taste so good, you will wonder why on earth it took you so long to figure out that you should have been making your own ricotta cheese for the past hundred years.
4.  It will take all your willpower not to stand there next to your bowl of delicious fresh ricotta and not eat it all in one fell swoop.

And I agree!!  YUMMY-NESS!  So, here's how it goes:
Put a mesh strainer in the sink.  I don't have a mesh strainer that stands on it's own, so this is what my set-up looked like.


Layer some cheese cloth (3-4 layers) over the strainer.

Gather your ingredients.  And dump them into a saucepan.

Turn the heat to medium high and watch the magic happen!  The first time I did this I stirred a lot during the boiling, and it didn't turn out as well as when I stirred it once and then let it do it's thing.  After it starts boiling, it separates into curds and whey!  (Like Little Miss Muffet!)

Now all you have to do is use a slotted spoon and spoon out the curds into your cheese cloth and let it drain until it's as dry (or wet) as you like!  NOTE: After every spoonful or two, be sure to add some salt!  There's not a lot of yummy-ness happening without salt.  I used Kosher salt for mine.

That night I used my homemade ricotta for lasagna rollups.  DELICIOUS!!

This is the recipe directly from the blog Framed Cooks.



2 comments:

  1. This is AMAZING. I love ricotta, and I'm definitely going to have to try making it like you did. You are so hard core! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! I don't know about hard core!! BUT I totally used the home made ricotta for YOUR lasagna rollups! We love them in our household!! PS....You commenting on my blog -- EPIC BLOG MOMENT for me!! :-)

    ReplyDelete