Thursday, December 31, 2015

Stretcher Bearers

And again He entered Capernaum after some days, and it was heard that He was in the house. Immediately many gathered together, so that there was no longer room to receive them, not even near the door. And He preached the word to them. Then they came to Him, bringing a paralytic who was carried by four men. And when they could not come near Him because of the crowd, they uncovered the roof where He was. So when they had broken through, they let down the bed on which the paralytic was lying.
When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven you.”
And some of the scribes were sitting there and reasoning in their hearts,“Why does this Man speak blasphemies like this? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”
But immediately, when Jesus perceived in His spirit that they reasoned thus within themselves, He said to them, “Why do you reason about these things in your hearts? Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise, take up your bed and walk’? 10 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the paralytic, 11 “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.”12 Immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went out in the presence of them all, so that all were amazed and glorified God, saying, “We never saw anything like this!”  Mark 2:1-12
In his book "Becoming a Stretcher Bearer," Michael Slater "encourages people to put 'feet' to their prayers through active encouragement.  Pastor Slater was launching a ministry based on the apostle Mark's dramatic account about the compassionate and inventive band of friends who came to the rescue of a paralyzed man by carrying him on a stretcher so he could get to Jesus for healing."  [When I Lay My Issac Down by Carol Kent]  In the midst of her personal Issac situation, Carol Kent says "I was hurting badly, but I was being loved deeply."  I second that sentiment.
My stretcher bearers have been such a gift.  So many friends and family who have called or texted or just prayed for me when I couldn't pray for myself.  Friends who continue to send text messages of love and encouragement, even when I haven't had it in me to respond to their messages.  I didn't realize how powerful and emotional and meaningful it would be for people to refer to our lost babies as "your girls"- to acknowledge that their lives, however short, were real.  The gift of a bracelet with two hearts to remember our sweet girls.  A gift card in the mail so Michael and I can escape to a movie and enjoy a night out.  A care package sent from across country.  So many people who have empathized with our pain, allowed me to not be okay and volunteered to stand in the gap for me and pray on my behalf.  Words cannot express how much these "stretcher bearers" have meant to me.  People who have carried me when I couldn't carry myself.  People who have gone out of their way to be an encouragement.
There are some "stretcher bearer" moments that stick out to me the most, that will likely be a part of my heart until I am able to hold my babies on the other side of heaven.  One sweet friend, who is also walking through infertility and IVF herself, asked about our baby's names.  We had already decided on names, and it was such a sweet opportunity for me to be able to share those with her.  The details of the heartache of the situation wasn't lost on this friend.   Another friend, who has suffered devastating miscarriages, texted me this:
Lauren, I am so so so sorry.  My heart hurts inside me and I know that as grief.  Your daughters awoke in Glory and await you.  But I know that brings very very little earthly reprise from the wretched ache.  I can only go before the throne on your behalf.  And I will.
I cry every time I read that message, knowing the truth in her words but continuing to feel the ache of loss.  I don't know how to properly show my gratitude for the love and encouragement and prayers of my "stretcher bearers".  But I thank God for that provision.  I have been hurting badly but have been loved so deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment